Friday, March 5, 2010

Interesting quote

I went to a playgroup the other day and saw this quote up against the wall. First my apologies as I can't recall the author. (I'll need to return there to write it down!!). Anyway, this is the quote:

"Never teach a child what he can learn for himself."

I do catch myself at times wanting to present an elusive answer thus rescuing my poor darlings from a bout of self-doubt, rather than sitting back and wait, anticipating that golden moment when the children have that 'a-ha' moment when they discover the answer for themselves.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

What a great quote! This is something I struggle with as well. It's hard to not try to rescue my children - but to let them experience and learn for themselves!

Elizabeth said...

Hi Melinda,

I've been using the following question to answer a LOT of questions from my kids recently: "What do YOU think?" Instead of giving them the answer / explanation I want to know what they think and then we can discuss it.