Saturday, February 5, 2011

Charlotte Mason Made Easy - Lesson Two



If you are a home educator you've most likely heard about Charlotte Mason. She was a lovely woman who had amazing ideas about children and their education. Stephanie Walmsley has written a practical course about how to implement Miss Mason's educational philosophy to help us homeschool mums and dads to do it easier. You can read some of Miss Mason's work over HERE. The volumes can be fully read on-line.

This course 'Charlotte Mason Made Easy' is a 12-week course that I'm doing.  You can click on the banner at the top to be directed to the site.

I did Lesson One and made my timetable which I've started implementing this week (as our 'school year' has only just begun). I am very pleased with my timetable and will keep you up to date with how it's going.

Lesson two is all about IDEAS.

An idea in this lesson is defined as: "anything which captivates our minds and causes us to think".

It further talks about the fact that ideas can be good or bad and either way it produces new ideas. Just think of 'bunny trails' -  how one idea leads into another. Our habits start out with a thought (an idea) which leads to action. A repeated action produces a habit - good or bad. Great ideas will produce great habits. Even our confidence and view of the world are wrapped in 'ideas' about ourselves and the world around us.

It is therefore so important for us to fill our children's beautiful minds with good... no, with great ideas!

Happy teaching.

Blessings,

1 comment:

Writer said...

The Charlotte Mason Method is the way we teach school. Our curriculum comes from Living Books Curriculum and we are almost done with first grade and are ready to move onto second grade. I enjoy teaching her way and my kids like learning this way.
I am from the TOS Crew and am now following you. Please follow me. Thank you!
www.indoorgardenmusings.blogspot.com