Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My 'Now-that-I'm-40' list (in progress)


On September, 29th I officially turned the big 4 0.

My birthday card from my daughter included these words: 'Even though you are the big 4 0, you are still very young to me'. What a sweet girl she is :)

I've looked forward to turning 40 for at least 2 years, so I had great expectations of what it would be like - big party ideas and everything. However, life does not always go as planned (Yah I know, big surprise there).

The day was bitter sweet. We were in the process of farewelling our foster girl whom we raised from birth. It was stressful, but my amazing family made it a special day.

A lovely, lovely breakfast was made for me while I received my cards and gifts. I know they love me as I got plenty of chocolate! (Lindt which is my favourite). Got a stunning pair of earrings from the kids and a trip to White Island (Active Volcano here in NZ) from the love of my life. (I will blog more about that a bit later). My friends treated me too with all sorts of amazing gifts. One of our friends came around specially in the morning to make me a cup of coffee :) If friends are the riches of life, I am a very wealthy woman!

Since I'm 40 I thought I'd make a list of some things I'd like to do or do differently. As I was pondering this (and I still am) I stumbled onto this post HERE by Tasha. It is her response to a list of things to do before 40, however, I might add some of that to my own list : )

OK, so back to my list. What is on it?

Well, as I said it is something I am still pondering, so it's a 'work-in-progress' (like me).
This is my list for now:  (Please feel free to leave me a comment with suggestions - even outrageous ones!)

1. Be more fun 
2. See the bottle as half FULL (yeah, I'm a bit of a pessimist) 
3. Learn another language (busy learning LATIN)
4. Stop multi-tasking and do and finish one thing at a time! (see this post of Tasha HERE)
5. Learn more about politics ... (does that counter no. 1?)
6.
7.
...

Ok, I'm off to go and play with my kids!

Blessings,

2 comments:

Tasha said...

Good on you Elizabeth!!!

I'd add 'play with my kids more' to your list. Sounds like you already do that, but it is an important thing to do. Our kids need to see the fun side of their parents more often.

And good on you learning Latin. I'm trying to teach myself French (somewhat unsuccessfully, but will persist) at the moment. I love other languages - helps one to see the world at large and as a whole.

So from one half-empty gal who is seeing the world as half-full - have fun, good luck and I'll be keeping up to date with your blog!!
Cheers,
Tasha

Ann said...

39 and 40, there is no difference.

one thing to add to you list, keep less busy and take time to smell the flowers, your kids and your husband.