Monday, December 3, 2012

Advent - Gifts

I am joining up with Trish over at A House Upon the Rock to blog regularly over Advent.


GIFTS by Elizabeth Herr

Imagine this as a possible monologue occurring in Mary’s mind after the angel Gabriel left her: 

“Mother of Jesus? Mother of the Son of God? Far out! ME?! What will Joseph say? And my mother? God, WHY did you pick me? There is so much in my life…oh, God, thank you! What an honour!...... but will they believe me? …. What do I need to get? Clothes, baby monitor…… I found favour with God…that’s what the angel said isn’t it? WOW! …. Mother of Jesus!. Me….. But what if I don’t do it right? I’m just plain me ... ” 

Mary – an ordinary girl from Galilee with an extra-ordinary call on her life. A gift from God to the world.

Mary did not instantly become a mother. It was a process and there was time for preparation. As you enter this time of preparation for Christmas think of what God has called YOU to do. Inside you is a gift…. a gift from God to the world (those around you) through you!! Take a moment and consider…. WHAT gift does God have for the world through YOU? Mary most likely felt overwhelmed (to put it mildly). Thinking of the gift inside you, you might feel overwhelmed too, but as with Mary, God will be with you. He will guide you and pour His grace into you. We serve an amazing God who fully understands human emotions because He became fully human. God has more gifts for the world – through each one of us. Not because we are great, but because He is and so that He can be glorified through us. If you think that nothing will be ‘lost’ if you don’t answer to God’s call, think again….what if Mary said “NO”??? 

Prayer: Lord, as we prepare for the celebration of Your birth we tenderly recall that You came to be God with us – Emmanual. Thank You that You understand our fears and our failings. Help us to use the many gifts you’ve given us and to say “yes” to You when you call us to step out of our comfort zone and follow You. 

The account of the angel’s visit to Mary can be found in Luke 1:26-38

3 comments:

mamatigerj said...

Very beautifully put; thank you!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks so much for your encouragement :)

Laura O in AK said...

I love your reflection. I know that I am way more hesitant when I hear God's call for something than Mary was.

Thanks for linking up with us on the 40 Days of Seeking Him meme.